[kde-edu]: Current maintainship state

Peter Hedlund peter at peterandlinda.com
Sun Sep 26 23:52:18 CEST 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 07:36 am, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:

> Is KVocTrain necessary now that we have KWordQuiz? (Peter?) KVocTrain
> rewrite is such a big task that I am not sure it'll be done.

I'm back after a three-week vacation.

When we included KWordQuiz it was decided that it should be a flashcard
program and not specifically designed for languages. Thus, I think it's
important to keep KVocTrain. I know a lot of work is needed. I'll try to do
KURL, XML gui, and keyboard layout switching in that order.

Important patches have been submitted regularly, most recently the keyboard
layout switching patch (which does need additional work), so I think there is
a general interest in the program.

> Minimum requirements for each program should be: easy i18n for data (in the
> code and providing translators with nice instructions), current kdelibs
> features as KConfig XT for ex., tooltips and QWhatsThis help, fixing bugs
> and nice up-to-date doc (there is a new doc template in kdeedu/doc btw).

I have done most of the work for KConfigXT for KWordQuiz. I have some problems
with widgets that can't be managed automatically, but I hope to resolve them
(basically getting the Apply and Default buttons to behave properly).
Otherwise I'll commit what I have and have someone else look at it.

Thanks,
Peter