[kde-edu]: kvoctrain: entering data

Peter Hedlund peter at peterandlinda.com
Tue Nov 2 20:26:02 CET 2004

Marc Heyvaert wrote:

> I have noticed that, but it's not clear if it's for
> all columns, i.e. languages, or only for the current
> language (is there is such a choosing mechanism).

This much I know from having analyzed the code previously that the
editor font is applied to the entire table, i.e. all columns. It would
be possible to subclass the QTable used to allow for different fonts in
different columns but that has not been done, and is not really required
if you use a Unicode font.

> But my problem is that even when I choose the right
> font, I wouldn't know how to insert special characters
> that certain languages have and that are not on my
> keyboard, or in the case of Chinese the 'characters'.
> Is there a general input method for these comparable
> to Microsoft IME?

By changing locales and keyboard layouts you can probably achieve this.
There is a patch in cvs that adds basic keyboard layout switching for
different languages in KVocTrain, but the functionality is not yet
available throughout the program as it needs to be.

In KWordQuiz I have worked around this to some degree by having a
special toolbar and mechanism for inserting special characters, but it's
not enough for entering entire word or sentences.

> The second difficulty is that I was amazed to see
> these 'Japanese characters' appear when loading one of
> these language files on this page
> http://edu.kde.org/contrib/kvtml.php
>
> As far as I know I don't have Japanese character fonts
> on my machine, and I don't know where to look to see
> what font was used.

If you see Japanese characters on your computer you do have a Unicode
font that includes all characters. Examples of such fonts from the
Windows world are Arial and Times New Roman.

Peter