[kde-edu]: kvtml is a begin, but it can be better: flashcard/dictionary file standardisation for the whole desktop

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Fri May 21 15:05:13 CEST 2004

Op vrijdag 21 mei 2004 14:28, schreef Anne-Marie Mahfouf:
> Hi,
>
> > To me that seems ok, but it's better to also give the authors of
> > applications that don't use kvtml as standard their voice in the
> > standardisation process: o they mabe also have good ideas that aren't in
> > kvtml
>
> there are not enough such apps to do so,

Pauker has really good features and that's why I am using it over KDE
applications.

Also memaid has great ideas.

And there will be more things I guess :)

> as Peter pointed out.

He might forgot to CC it to me.

> > o they are in the weak position because they have to implement it from
> > zero afterwards while applications that already supports kvtml don't have
>
> so everyone should start from zero???

No: what I mean is that if kvtml will be the standardised format (or something
based on it), is that the authors of applications that don't use kvtml
nowadays should spend more energy to make their application compatible with
it than the applications that already use it. So it might be a good idea to
also ask them their opinions while making the standard to prevent that they
will have big troubles to implement it at a later time.

> > o they maybe don't like the "k" in the name
>
> hmm, I'll skip that

/me too ;-)

> > > If you think that such a format can be made standard by being published
> > > on freedesktop.org, then yes! Could you think of someone acting as
> > > coordinator in this?
> >
> > No sorry, but I thaught that maybe some of the people already involved in
> > such applications would be the best suited for this....so I emailed to
> > this list ;-)
>
> well....
>
> > * no knowledge yet of any programming language (I planned to learn some
> > someday already 4 years ago, but I think it will takes at *least* 2 years
> > more because of other hobbies/studies :D )
>
> none needed.
>
> Please do give better feedback on apps such KVocTrain. A new developer
> submitted a study of what needs to be done in KVocTrain.
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-edu&m=108161908423020&w=2

I bookmarked that page: seems nice. Maybe I can do this summer a kdeedu
usability/bugs/wishes-marathon and post "some" things on bugzilla.
.. Yes, this is a warning for all kdeedu-hackers ;-)

> And you say on your webpage that KVocTrain has usabilitiy issues. It's now
> a good time to elaborate on this.

First exams :( and holiday :)

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.