[kde-edu]: kvtml is a begin, but it can be better: flashcard/dictionary file standardisation for the whole desktop

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Fri May 21 02:11:17 CEST 2004

Hi,

Having a look at your wiki I see that the formats actually used now are:
kvtml, xml and ASCII
kvtml is a xml subset and we plan to improve it now that KWordQuiz replaces
FlashKard in kdeedu.

So from my point of view, why not make kvtml the standard you propose if no
other de-facto standard exists.

If you think that such a format can be made standard by being published on
freedesktop.org, then yes! Could you think of someone acting as coordinator
in this?
The problem is that in KDE-Edu we have many ideas but not many people to
implement them. I for myself has enough work to do by managing the project
and I cannot extend my commitment to this.

I note that you also made wishes for other edu applications (like integrating
KHangMan closer with KWordQuiz) so why don't you act as coordinator for that
sort of things? (better integration between different programs, having
standards, contacting fellow edu developers,...).
Practically, I think that would mean talking with the KDE developers for
setting adequate goals (3.3 is too soon so 4.0 it will be), setting up a
webpage on edu.kde.org with objectives, links, ...., contacting the
freedesktop people and maintaining a webpage here and contacting other
projects.
We need someone to do this if we want to make progress (someone who is not
me ;)

On the same sort of ideas, I have been contacted a while ago by the TuxPaint
author and the GCompris author who want also to share pics and data from
their progs (like the stamps from TuxPaint for example) (thus making a
standard way of using data). I did not have time to follow this closely but
this is related to your idea. I'll pass on all the relevant information.

So here we need people who are not developers but willing to help the project!

Please come forward if you're interesting in contributing that way!

Anne-Marie