[kde-edu]: KMathTool

M2George m2george at mweb.co.za
Mon May 17 12:41:34 CEST 2004

Hello All

>on 13 May 2004 17:09:05 -0400
>Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote

>yes, what we are saying here is that the concept is very good.
>It's not totally dead as a guy sent me a patch and I did not commit it yet (I
>have to work on it a bit). I don't know if this guy intends to work more on
>it though...

I'm the guy and my name is Trenton. I did submit a patch but have had no feedback. I have been working on KMathTool and my aim is to make KMathTool into a Math's tutoring system. I've been busy incorporating a Theory Widget that displays the relevant theory and application of the mathematical section in question. I will also add the following sections to KMathTool.

    Trig - 2D, 3D, Area Rule, Cosine Rule, Compound Angles, Equations, Graphs, Identities, Sine Rule.

    Alg - Algebraic Fractions, Absolute Values, Calculus/Differentiation, Compound Inc Dec, Exponents, Functions, Hyperbola, Inequalities, Inverses, Linear Programming, Logs, Improved Parabola, Quadratic Equations, Quadratic Theory, Simultaneous Equations, Mensuration, Products, Surds, Series, Speed, Improved Straight Lines.

    Geo -  Analytical Geometry, Circles , Concurrency, Similarity.

This might seem a lot but the teaching we use is really effective and I would dearly like to pass it on.

Also Anne-Marie could you please tell me what changes you are going to make so that I could learn from my mistakes.

I'm also struggling to find a method that will display text with graphics that I can animate. I want to use this to visually demonstrate the mathematical methods i.e.: Fractions with Equations, the learners really understand when they can see that to get rid of  the fraction you divide the whole of the left and the whole of the right by the LCD of the Fractions. It makes a huge impact in their understanding if they can see this in action. This same method works even better with Geometry.
I have been trying to use HTML with GIF anim's but it seems rather crude. What could I use as a flash replacement? My previous programming experience is from 1988, writing .bat files in dos. So any guidance would be much appreciated. Once the framework is completed the adding of the teaching should be easy from there on. Also I would not like to duplicate work here, so any ideas and comments and help would be handy.

Kind Regards

Trenton Carr