[kde-edu]: Geographic learning tool

Albert Astals Cid tsdgeos at terra.es
Sat Feb 21 16:43:34 CET 2004

I've been thinking about a tool to learn geography for kdeedu.

Things i've thought:
 - The program will show you a colored political map and it would ask you to
point country X.
 - The program will show you a flag and you have to point the respective
country in a map
 - The program will show you a flag and you have to choose it from a list of
country names.

It can be expanded to states inside a country, regions inside a state, etc.

The most important thing of the program as you can think is having both flags
and maps.

About flags i've looked at
http://www.sodipodi.com/index.php3?section=clipart/flags where there is a
(growing) collection of 333 flags that are in the public domain so i think it
would not be a problem adding them to the program.

About maps i've looked at
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/docs/refmaps.html where you
have maps of some regions of the world, in fact that PDF (1.8mb)
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/reference_maps/pdf/political_world.pdf
is very good to start. All the info in the factbook is also under the public
domain
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/docs/contributor_copyright.html
so the maps could be modified to fit our needs if necessary.

What do you think?

Please keep me in the CC as i'm not subsribed to the list.

Albert