[kde-edu]: trading place for translations - for open source projects and schools

Sebastian Stein s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de
Sun Nov 16 21:09:52 CET 2003

Hartmut Meyer <hartmut.meyer at web.de> [031116 21:01]:
> How about a trading place that could be used by open source projects looking
> for translators on the one side and teachers/pupils/schools looking for
> real-world transaltion jobs on the other side? I believe it can be a good
> motivator to know that the work done will actually not be binned (after
> beeing read by the teacher) but be really useful.
>
> Does something like that already exist?
>
> If not: what do you think would be a good place for this? I don't imagine the
> kde-edu project as such is the right place. It's doesn't even necessarily
> need to be a KDE thing (though I would like it).

Sometime I get some mails from people asking me what they can translate as
an university project and such things. The main problem in KDE context is,
that translation isn't that easy. Of course you can just send the people the
po file and say they should use kbabel, but to do it right, they need a lot
more knowledge. I also tried to guide someone through the process of setting
up KDE CVS download, to do some proofreading of documentation, but I think
he gave up, because it is just to complicate.

So I'm not sure how to lower the technical border. If you find a good
solution I like to hear about it!

Steinchen
--
KBruch:  application to automatically generate tasks with fractions
Package: KDE Edu in KDE 3.2 (http://edu.kde.org/kbruch/)