[kde-edu]: Kig dependancies ?

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun May 18 13:01:34 CEST 2003

Hi,
I've been working a bit on python scripting for Kig.  This has turned
out to not be too hard, especially because I'm using the fantastic
Boost.Python library [1].  I'm making good progress, the code
basically works, but I haven't started working on the user interface
of the feature.
However, I have some questions about whether it would be a good idea
to make Kig depend on python and Boost.python.
Basically, I see two options:

1 make kig depend on the libs, and make it not compile at all without
  python installed, which obviously has the disadvantage that users
  will need two libraries installed in order to be able to use Kig..
2 make the kig build disable the scripting features if the user
  requests to not use the libraries.  However, this has the
  disadvantage that it creates compatibility problems between the
  program with scripting, and the program without ( User A has
  scripting, creates a file with a scripted object, and sends it to
  User B who doesn't have scripting, and obviously can't open the
  file.. ).  Kig would have to tell User B that he needs kig with
  scripting in order to use the file..

I guess option 1 is not really a possibility, but I don't really like
the consequences of option 2 too..

What do you think about this ?  Are there any other programs that need
certains libs to function, and how was the issue solved there ?

cheers
domi

Footnotes:
[1]  http://boost.org/libs/python/doc/index.html

--
You are a very redundant person, that's what kind of person you are.