[kde-edu]: Kig python scripting committed, testers wanted !

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sat Jul 12 18:07:50 CEST 2003

Hi,

As some of you may know, I have been working on python scripting for
Kig the last few months ( Kig is the KDE Interactive Geometry program,
it is part of KDE ).  I have recently finished it, and committed to
CVS HEAD.  It needs both the python library and the Boost.python
library in order to function, and I have therefore had to write some
autoconf macro's that test for its presence, and allow you to
optionally disable the python scripting ( check out the output of
configure --help, the relevant option is
--disable-kig-python-scripting ).  And this is where I need some
testers.  Given the variety of systems out there, I have no idea
whether my tests are any good, as I am only able to test on my local
Debian unstable box, and it works fine here, both in the case of
python scripting disabled and enabled.

So, if you feel like testing, please help.  What you should do is:

* optionally install both libboost-python-dev and libpython-dev ( I
  need testers both for the case of these being present, and not, so
  this is an optional step )...

* cvs up kdeedu to cvs HEAD, or download it anew if you don't have it
  already. For instructions, see:
  http://edu.kde.org/kig/faq.php#compilecvs

* *Re-run* make -f Makefile.cvs, then ./configure ( check at the
  bottom for error messages about kig not being able to find your
  installed libraries ).

* run kig, and try to use the kig python scripting.  There is a test
  Kig file in kdeedu/kig/filters/tests/python-script.kig.  If you see
  two points and one at the middle between them, then everything is
  perfect.  The middle point is a scripted point, given by the code:

	def calc( arg1, arg2 ):
	        return Point( ( arg1.coordinate() + arg2.coordinate() ) / 2 )

  Thus, if you see it, that means that all the fancy new scripting
  stuff is working properly.  If not, complain at devriese at kde.org !
  ;) If everything works, you can try to build some scripted objects
  yourself.  The button to start defining it is under or next to the
  "new text label" button in the toolbar.  you should then reach a
  wizard that should be more or less self-explanatory.  Proper docs
  are on my TODO list, don't complain about that yet ;).

* That would be it, now it would be great if you could mail me, tell
  me what you think about the new feature, complain about the
  configure script not finding your installed libraries, etc., which I
  would very much appreciate.

Thanks for your help, or at least for reading this awefully long email
;)

cheers
domi