[kde-edu]: Simple arithmetic apps

Jim Thomas kde-edu@kde.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:52:54 -0500

John Lamb wrote:

> Is there anything out there that does tests basic mental arithmetic
> skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication tables) for 6-8 year olds?
>
> To illustrate this, I knocked together a python script (below), but it
> would be nice to have something like this in Qt/KDE. I guess it wouldn't
> take even me long to write something if there's nothing already.

I have what I think is a good idea for this sort of game.  If written
well, it should be easy to extend too.  I had actually started writing
it (in C), but since I don't do GUI's, it was destined to not go very
far (and it stopped waaaay before I needed a GUI).

The game is similar to WordZap (google for it).

In my version (which I named MathZap), the player is presented with a
grid of random digits (0-9), a row of operators (+-*/=), and a "rack."
The idea is to build equations on the rack by clicking on the digits and
operators.  When the player is done stringing the equation together,
(s)he clicks a "GO" button.  If the equation is true, it stays on the
rack, but if not, it won't stick.

The rack should be able to hold N equations (7 might be good).  In this
game, there will be an opponent (which could be the computer, or it
could be someone else over the network).  The opponent is trying to do
the exact same thing with the exact same grid of digits.  If both
players use the same equation, the equation gets "zapped" off both
racks.  The first player to fill the rack wins.

In WordZap, the players are trying to build words instead of equations.
A math version would not require a dictionary.  Wordzap also had a mode
where the player could select only letters that were adjacent to an
already-selected letter.

The player should be able to select which operators are available in an
Options menu.  There's no reason to limit the operators to arithmetic
either.  I could see inequalities as an option.  Perhaps even square
roots, logs and exponents.  For the more advanced players, the game
could have a trig identity mode.  It could also do Hex/octal/binary.

I'd love it if someone were to expand what I've started (which is not
even remotely playable as is).  If anyone's interested, I'd love to
chat.

jthomas@bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
Things could be a lot better around here, but worse is more likely -
Calvin