[kde-edu]: Timetableapplication

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Apr 27 16:56:12 CEST 2003

On Sunday 27 April 2003 15:32, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> Hi
>
> I took a closer look at the application and would like to give my
> opinion:
>
> a) The math behind is _great_. Especially Eva would like that ;)
> b) It would not be to hard to port it to KDE
> c) It is probably not what some people thought it is: You can generate
> timetables for eg a school with a lot teachers. It is not for making a
> timetable for a single student or sth like that
>
> In conclusion: I am not sure if it is well suited for kdeedu but it is
> definetly for kdeextragear (Klas?). I think we could port it to KDE
> within a few weeks, the app it self is allready quite good.

Perhaps the app should be seperated into a backend and frontend using
somekind of IPC to communicate.

For example a simple protocol over TCP would allow to have several
different frontends that do not even have to run on the same machine.
This has a couple of advantages:
- the backend author can focus on his field of interest and does not have
to know about KDE development

- the frontend author does not need to know anything about the backend
internals

- a lot of schools still use Windows on desktops, the separation would
allow to have a Windows frontend as well, letting the schools migrate to
KDE desktops anytime they wish

- theoretically the backend could be replaced in case the current author
decides to discontinue the project

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>