Accessibility: Mouse Navigation...

Michael Carcieri laughconjurer at gmail.com
Wed May 18 00:33:21 BST 2022

Hello,

My name is Michael and I am writing because I am very confused about a
certain tweak, or setting, I suppose is the more professional term.
Anyway, Under the System Settings ⇨ Accessibility ⇨ Mouse Navigation,
the settings that can change, in milliseconds, the Acceleration Delay
and Acceleration Time, and Acceleration Profile, etc., it is the last of
these settings and the last one I mentioned, the Acceleration Profile
description that states that, /"This is the slope of the acceleration
curve for mouse key acceleration."/  I realize that this could all be
for nought because I am not sure whether this states for either/both the
Numeric Keypad and the actual mouse movements, should it be a situation
in which the Keys are not needed (though still pretty cool). So,
/initially/, I just wanted to know what the curve translates to,
numerically: does a 5 /speed up *5 times faster*/ than say, a value of
1? I suppose I need to clarify that, I just realized. I mean, if we
suppose that 1 is the baseline and that it means it takes a *full
second*, (or a/thousand milliseconds/) to reach full speed and thus a
value of 2 would take 500 milliseconds...and then it gets confusing
because, like the gravitational pull upon any object of reasonable
substance and density by the Earth, if you were on a 3-storey house (I
know, I spell it the British way, like */colour/*, but the book kind of
story, sorry. Never mind) a house that is about 32-33 feet high, you'd
never know that the *per-second, /per-second/* rule applies because the
fall takes exactly (for the sake of argument) 1.00 seconds. I guess what
I am asking (and complicating things /far/ more than necessary, thank
you OCD) is, would a value of 3 reach full/terminal velocity in /333.3
microseconds/, or would it take /250 microseconds?/

/*OR*/, if using 1 as a baseline again, and purely hypothetical but for
the sake of understanding the value parameters, say 1 goes 10
miles/kilometers per hour. Does not matter which, as long as we stay
with that measurement. Being American, I am going to use /mph/. So,
/*if*/ 1 = 10 mph then, would 2 = 20, 3 = 30, in a linear fashion, or
would it be more along the exponential dimension in that 2 = 20, 3 = 40,
4 =80mph, etc. Please forgive my weirdness. I realize it looks *really
weird* to basically /free-write/ (*i.e.* no editing save typos and what
comes out, comes out). Also, I am the reason the TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't
Read) was invented. But I had to ask, complicated though it may be. I
just want to know what is meant by /*a curve*/, in which /one single
value/ (integer) translates to this /curve/, which I only know as
plotting out x and y coordinates on a graph, which entails several
(pairs!) numbers versus just one.  If you have read through to this
point, number /One,/ Thank You for your patience. And number /Two,/
Thank You for giving me a bit of the most precious commodity, /*Time*/.
Thanks for your time. You would /really/ be helping me out if you could
email me back with as simple or as convoluted and complex an answer as
you would like. Anyway, thank you again and may God bless you.

   Most Respectfully,

Michael Carcieri

--
𝔪𝔧𝔠