KMail2 configuration

David Bryant davidbryant at gvtc.com
Wed Oct 28 20:57:38 GMT 2020

I have a question about one of the configuration screens for KMail.

I'm revising the documentation, which is seven years (±) out of date. In the
"Identity" configuration dialog, "Advanced" tab, there are a few new fields. I
can understand "Attach my vCard to message" and "Autocorrection language:".
But the next field, "Default domain:", throws me for a loop.

I can see that the default value supplied by KMail came from /etc/conf.d/
hostname. But I don't understand how KMail uses this information. I think it
must be related to "sendmail" running on a local area network, but since I
don't have access to one of those, I can't easily test it to see how it works.
And it would take far too long to understand the source code.

Can anybody explain what this field is for / how it works? I'm trying to be as
thorough as possible with the rewrite. Thanks!
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas
mailto: davidbryant at gvtc.com