Documentation Primer typos, etc.

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Mon Mar 16 06:38:38 GMT 2020

неділя, 15 березня 2020 р. 23:44:08 EET John Hayes написано:
> On Sunday, March 15, 2020 4:31:49 PM CDT David Bryant wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 15, 2020 3:08:05 PM CDT Jack Ostroff wrote:
> > > Something seems odd.  I only get a result with
> > > https://l10n.kde.org/docs/doc-primer/check-docs.html (note the added
> > > "l" at then end)
> >
> > I took a look at the html source in page
> > https://l10n.kde.org/docs/doc-primer/index.html
> >
> > About half-way through the document I see this:

> > where "✺" is actually an unprintable character -- I'm just guessing here,
> > but I think it's X'EFBFBD', based on John Haynes's original post in this
> > thread. That's not a valid code point in UTF-8.
> >
> > I have no idea how it got inserted into the html code, which is generated
> > by an XML processor from a .docbook source document. All that stuff
> > really ought to be straight 7-bit ASCII characters, for the most part.
> > The URL for the destination page was rendered correctly (without 3 bytes
> > of hex garbage) by the same XML processor. Cosmic rays, maybe?
> >
> > I posted a picture of the way Firefox renders this bit of code on my web
> > site, just in case anyone wants to look at it. Visit
> >
> > https://davidcbryant.net/images/WeirdUTF-8.png
> >
> > if you're curious.
> >
> > Interestingly,  I can't even copy and paste the unprintable character. I
> > suppose that's because it's not a valid UTF-8 character ... when scanning
> > text input, the "copy" function probably stops when it hits something
> > unrecognizable.
> >
> > David Bryant
> > Canyon Lake, Texas
>
> I took a look and it is definitely weird looking, so this is fixed now?
>
> Cheers,
> John

That's a "replacement character":

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/fffd/index.htm

My guess is that it's insertion is some kind of a result of line-breaking on
our server.

It is not fixed now. I'll try to replace section header to shift the
replacement character.

Best regards,
Yuri