KMail configuration

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Wed Dec 30 16:32:58 GMT 2020

Hey,

> I'm still working on the documentation for KMail, which is about seven years
> out of date.

great that you start updating the documentation.

> In the configuration dialog, "Security" page, "Reading" tab there are two
> new options: Check URL with Phishing Google System, and Scan emails for
> tracking URLs. I can guess what these options are about, but I haven't
> actually been able to get them to do anything I can notice. Whether they're
> set on, or off, KMail acts the same, so far as I can see. Maybe I don't
> have the right data for testing these options. I do get plenty of tracking
> URLs in some email newsletters I receive regularly, but I don't see where
> KMail is doing anything special with them.

Tracking URLs is a precompiled list of trackers and if an url is in the mail
that starts with the defined urls the tracker call is blocked.

https://invent.kde.org/pim/messagelib/-/blob/master/messageviewer/src/viewer/
webengine/blockmailtrackingurlinterceptor/
blockmailtrackingurlinterceptor.cpp#L37

I myself do not know where this list comes from and I never seen this
triggered for myself. If a URL is found it should trigger a popup like scam
detection. Maybe others can help what this list is about.

> Phishing Google System

There is at least from code it seems working. But maybe the APIKey is not
valid anymore?

Sandro