D29871: Enable option to show hidden folders in sidebar, plus small sidebar code fixes (eg: scrollbar display)

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Aug 5 16:47:54 BST 2020

dfaure added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> rrosch wrote in index.docbook:2141
> Do you mean that I should edit the text to add the stuff in the parentheses?

Yes, this was a suggestion for improving the docu.

> rrosch wrote in index.docbook:2141
> Actually, konqueror is compiled for Windows too, right? Does KDirModel make that distinction in "setShowingDotFiles"?

You know it's opensource, right? ;-)

KCoreDirLister uses it to check KFileItem::isHidden() which is says "starts with dot = hidden" (on all platforms) and also supports kioslaves that set UDS_HIDDEN (lxr says smb:, fonts:, and desktop: for .desktop files that shouldn't be shown in KDE or due to TryExec).

OK so it's technically more than "starts with dot", though for the common case of local files, that's all it's about indeed.

> rrosch wrote in sidebar_widget.cpp:339
> I haven't used Q_ASSERT before, and when I looked it up just now it says that all it does is print a warning message if the boolean is false. Is that what you mean?

A failed assertion aborts the program, in debug mode. It's a way for developers to catch logic errors.

> rrosch wrote in sidebar_widget.cpp:580
> Ok, I'm going to look up how to do the checkbox. Hopefully it's straightforward and doesn't require too much code.
>
> The race condition I had in mind was when you have two windows open and you change the toggle in one, and then again in the other. Stefano says that his Konq does the change live, but that doesn't seem to be working for me (not sure if my Konq, KF5 or Qt is to blame), but in any case if the change happens live, then that solves it and I guess there is no race condition.

OK, this isn't what I call a race condition (because it can be triggered very very slowly, that would be a snails race...). I call this a synchronization issue. At least konqueror is a unique service (single process) these days so it's easier than before, no DBus needed.

If you have multiple windows open, I don't see how checking the action in one would immediately affect the other, you would have to implement that.
I doubt Dolphin does that though?

REPOSITORY
  R226 Konqueror

REVISION DETAIL