D23415: Improve comprehensibility and consistency of window placement mode names

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Sep 15 12:31:33 BST 2019

romangg added a comment.

  This discussion once again consumes everyone's precious time on a minimal change. It needs to come to a conclusion.

  First off UX is VDG's domain. They should of course work together with us devs on designing the best possible UX, but on the other side devs have a responsibility to value VDG's opinion and in the end execute their UX concepts (assuming that these have been produced with current best practice and knowledge of UX/UI design methodology).

  Now coming to this name change: several active VDG members and Plasma devs, including native English speakers, are in favor of changing the `Smart` name. On KWin side Vlad is against it, I am in favor of it (mostly because the VDG is in favor of it and I don't see anything inherently wrong with the new names) and David seems to be ok with either decision.

  So @zzag, is your only argument that the name was always `Smart` and therefore should not change or are there other arguments? Because the name just being always this way and users maybe got used to it is a very weak argument and get trumped by selecting a more descriptive naming scheme. Otherwise I propose the following:

  1. Check back on the enum/config/whatever names in the current revision. There was some indecision on how they should be. @davidedmundson: can you take a last look at these?
  2. Commit **after** 5.17 branch-off. This way we have till January to change the names a bit more in case we missed something and without causing several string changes on user installs.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415