Workflow with orig doc on userbase

danders at get2net.dk danders at get2net.dk
Tue Nov 26 09:24:30 GMT 2019

Albert Astals Cid skrev den 2019-11-25 22:08:
> El dimarts, 19 de novembre de 2019, a les 9:49:02 CET,
> danders at get2net.dk va escriure:
>> Albert Astals Cid skrev den 2019-11-17 19:09:
>> > El dimarts, 5 de novembre de 2019, a les 11:02:05 CET,
>> > danders at get2net.dk va escriure:

>> > So you want to convert an userbase wiki to docbook?
>> >
>> > I guess you want
>> > https://userbase.kde.org/How_To_Convert_a_UserBase_Manual_to_Docbook
>> > (no idea how up to date or working that is)
>> Well, I would like to know how documentation is handled when the
>> original is on userbase, so that I can make the right decisions in the
>> future.
>
> I don't understand this question. Yuri says it's working and pointed
> to a wiki page under your name.
>
>> My problem is that the manual is very much wip so I would have liked
>> be able to make "branches" of the doc that matched git branches.
>> I can *guess* that the way is to generate a docbook and include it
>> into
>> the git branch, but I would like to *know*.
>> Also, how is tranlations handled. Are they also generated from
>> userbase?
>
> I don't understand your usecase so i can't comment. You want to have
> the same documentation translated both in the wiki and as docbook?
>
> May I ask why you want such duplicity?
Sorry if I'm unable to be clear about what I am asking about, so I try
again :)
My question is not about what I want, but how documentation is meant to
work.
I have documentation on userbase (as e.g amarok has). How is this
documentation meant to be included in releases?
Shall it just exist on userbase and be pointed to in the desktop file or
should a docbook be generated and included in the release?

With generated docbook I do not see how translations shall be handled
without ending up with double work.

With docs only on userbase I get the problem when fetaures are added and
changed in the program the docs cannot be touched because it is used by
users of the released program.
(and several releases may be in use dependent on distributions)

So, I only want to know how documentation is meant to work so I can do
the right thing.

Cheers, Dag