help with docbook in emacs using psgml

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 29 22:42:16 GMT 2019

Hello all,

I had been using nxml mode in emacs (currently using 26.1) and was
happy with it, except it generally said "invalid syntax" for most
docbook files (which had no problems or errors with checkXML or
meinproc5.  Today I tried to switch to psgml, but am unable to get
syntax highlighting.   I have sgml-set-face and sgml-auto-activate-dtd
both set to t, and sgml-markup-faces seems OK with what look like
appropriate font-lock items.   Is there a useful set of instructions or
tutorial?  I have hunted but not yet found anything helpful.  I would
really prefer colored syntax highlighting, but it's not even clear to
me if the font-lock faces will do that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jack