D23415: Improve comprehensibility and consistency of window placement mode names

Vlad Zagorodniy noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Aug 28 13:32:14 BST 2019

zzag added a comment.

  In D23415#520175 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415#520175>, @ngraham wrote:

  > But that doesn't make sense to me. The reason to rename it in the code as well is to preserve internal consistency with the user-displayed strings. If we only rename the enums and not the serialized values, we're not actually doing that, so what's the point?

  Yes and no. My point is that enums and user visible strings should be very close, so one could have a look at the header file of Placement and see what method implements "Minimal overlapping". We can leave written config values as they are. Not great, not terrible. Just change "-ing" to "-ed" in a few places that's all what I ask.

  > This string is buried in the Advanced tab of an infrequently-used KCM. Bad strings should be improved, even if they've been bad for 20 years. Otherwise they'll be bad for another 20 years. I really don't understand why this is controversial. No other KDE project seems imposes so high a bar on simple string changes.

  My problem is that VDG goes way overboard with "user-visible strings". For example, we didn't receive any complaints about "Desktop Effects" string. Linux community settled on using that term so why do we have change it? Just to show "hey we are different!"? Same with the smart placement. I know that it received some complaints about the underlying algorithm, but not the name. I'd be happy to accept patches from VDG that fix inconsistency in KWin's kcms, e.g. missing "...", inconsistent feature names(top-left corner and zero-cornered), etc. If you want to rename a feature, please discuss that with us first by creating a task or posting to kwin mailing list rather than going the hard way (uploading a patch and having very heated discussion).

  Another my problem with you VDG, which is unrelated to the change itself, is that you act a bit aggressively in code reviews. It's totally fine to have some discussion in order to change mind of code reviewers in your favor, but if you get "no" many times and the reason why maybe it's time to stop arguing. Currently I see VDG as a moving train that crashes everything in front of it.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415