D23415: Improve comprehensibility and consistency of window placement mode names

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Aug 25 14:43:39 BST 2019

ndavis added a comment.

  In D23415#518833 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415#518833>, @zzag wrote:

  > In D23415#518815 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415#518815>, @ndavis wrote:
  >
  > > I don't think a native English speaker would be confused by the wording, but if you think non-native English speakers might get confused, that's something worth considering.
  >

  > Alright, let's approach this from other side. Why is "Maximized" preferred to "Maximizing?"

  I don't have anything concrete and I'm not that concerned about whether the text is Maximized, Maximizing or just Maximize because it's easy enough to figure out what it means regardless of which one you use.

  >> With the second name, you can assume that windows will appear in the top left  corner.

  > Which one? :-) "Top-Left Corner" isn't better than "Zero-Cornered" because it's too generic imho.

  How? What else could top left corner mean? How would one have even the slightest clue what zero corner means without already being familiar with how screen coordinates work? Even the tooltip says the window is placed in the top left corner, not the zero corner.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin

BRANCH
  better-window-placement-text (branched from master)

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415