D23415: Improve comprehensibility and consistency of window placement mode names

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Aug 25 14:06:17 BST 2019

ndavis added a comment.

  In D23415#518506 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415#518506>, @zzag wrote:

  > > Renaming "Maximizing" to "Maximized"
  >
  > "Maximizing" indicates that the placement policy maximizes clients.
  >
  > "Maximized" indicates that the placement policy is maximized itself.
  >
  > Take my words with a grain of salt because I hold a Ph.D degree in Broken English. I'd like to be corrected.

  If you're looking at the words that way, you could also say that Maximizing might mean that the policy is maximizing itself, but I think it's a pretty big stretch to think it's referring to the policy rather than what is being done to the windows.

  I don't think a native English speaker would be confused by the wording, but if you think non-native English speakers might get confused, that's something worth considering.

  >> Renaming "Zero-Cornered" to "Top-Left Corner"
  >
  > Frankly, I don't see any improvements over the old name. The old name is confusing but so is the new name.

  For the first name to make any sense, you'd have to know that the top left is usually (0, 0) in computer graphics. That's quite technical. With the second name, you can assume that windows will appear in the top left  corner. Unfortunately, that's not always the case and some apps seem to ignore the placement rules.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin

BRANCH
  better-window-placement-text (branched from master)

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415