D23309: Change the document about helping Krusader, add other ways

Nikita Melnichenko noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 22 07:36:14 BST 2019

nmel added a comment.

  In D23309#516339 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23309#516339>, @pino wrote:

  > In D23309#516337 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23309#516337>, @yurchor wrote:
  >
  > > The only problem with https://krusader.org/get-involved/ is that it is even more conservative than our user docs
  >

  > https://cgit.kde.org/websites/krusader-org.git/
  >  Just open a review request for that repository (or commit directly), it is not complicated...

  **Please always open a review! **Committed and pushed changes are deployed directly to live site. People make mistakes, it's normal, and reviews reduce the likelihood of a mistake.

  >> (no translations, etc.).
  >
  > You need to known English to contribute anyway, almost all the tasks added by this patch require that. Hence I do not see how making them translatable helps anyway: even if the users read them in the translated documentation, as soon as they get to the "get involved" page the translation factor becomes useless.
  >
  > So better be honest upfront: have only a small Help paragraph pointing to https://krusader.org/get-involved/, mentioning that the page is in English.

  I agree with this point. If potential devs have problems with English and are curious enough, they'll use their favorite Page Translate service. It won't be ideal but at least it will be the most up-to-date translation.

  In D23309#515743 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23309#515743>, @pino wrote:

  > As I said, IMHO the best is to point the installed documentation to https://krusader.org/get-involved/. **Getting involved into krusader IMHO is not something that depends on the krusader version, which is something the user documentation reflects.**
  >  Let's take an actual example: currently this documentation chapter mentions phabricator, which soon will be gitlab (where KDE is heading to). Now the user installs krusader from a stable distro (the latest Debian/Fedora/openSUSE/etc), then they read to use phabricator, and they try to reach it... which won't exist anymore.

  And I agree even more with this. I believe the majority of people just use what their distro suggests and this info will be outdated inevitably. Current dev affairs don't depend on the app version.

  > - remove almost all the content of the Help chapter, leaving only a paragraph saying that help is welcome, you can do lots of things, etc etc, pointing to https://krusader.org/get-involved/
  > - have the //up-to-date// instructions for help in https://krusader.org/get-involved/ only

  +1. Toni, what you propose is a good change, however I think we should direct our efforts on keeping the online page as much detailed and updated as possible. It will be great to have starting steps for each type of work (for example, want to do Bug Triaging - go to the specific bugzilla link showing the list of not triaged bugs and try to repro bugs one by one, and then post your comments in the bugs).

  @yurchor, in any case, the changes to the docs shall be made only in `master`, since `stable` is in the doc-freeze mode, correct?

REPOSITORY
  R167 Krusader

REVISION DETAIL