D22894: Rename "Desktop Effects" to "Graphical Effects"

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Aug 4 22:40:21 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In general I don't think it's a valid argument that you should leave something alone just because people are used to it. If it's already good, then that's the reason not to change it. But if people have gotten used to something bad, then changing it is definitely the right course of action even if it will cause some people to need to adjust a bit. Otherwise things stay bad forever.

  @zzag I would probably agree with you that this isn't a //necessary// change. The phrase "Desktop Effects" isn't bad. But I do believe that the word "Desktop" is inappropriate, for reasons I already gave. We are already moving towards using a different word in other places, with several patches landed. It would be nice to be able to include KWin so that we can have a more consistent use of terminology throughout our software stack.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin

BRANCH
  desktop-to-graphical (branched from master)

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D22894