[kde-doc-english] handling of *.desktop files of plugins

Thomas Eschenbacher Thomas.Eschenbacher at gmx.de
Sat Mar 12 08:39:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

I recently have ported the plugin system of Kwave to use the KDE
Services interface. Unfortunately the translated plugin names now can no
longer be extracted from the source files, instead I have a *.desktop
file for each plugin.

But before I release this change I have some questions:

Q1: do I have to do something, provide some script or so, to get the
messages extracted and to get the desktop files updated, or does this
work "out of the box" by the KDE scripts, maybe by the same magic that
already handles my <application>.desktop file?

Q2: the files are all named
"plugins/<name>/kwaveplugin_<name>.desktop.in". Is that ok, are
*.desktop.in files found, or does the suffix "*.in" prevent this?

Q3: The files will look like this:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Comment=Low Pass Filter          <= to be translated
Comment[de]=Tiefpass-Filter
Type=Service
ServiceTypes=Kwave/Plugin
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Author=Thomas Eschenbacher
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=lowpass    <= not to be translated
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Version=@KWAVE_VERSION_FULL@:2.3
X-KDE-PluginInfo-License=GPL
X-KDE-PluginInfo-EnabledByDefault=true

Is that file format ok, and is it clear that only the "Comment" tag
should be translated?

Q4: I could easily write a script that extracts the translated messages,
which currently exist in some *.po file, and puts them into the desktop
file, so that they are present at first checkin (like in the example
above). Would these translated tags be kept, or would this be a waste of
time as they get overwritten by the KDE scripts.

kind regards,
   Thomas