[kde-doc-english] Kaffeine documentation

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sat Jun 4 18:26:44 UTC 2016

Hi Mauro,

Am Freitag, 3. Juni 2016, 17:30:28 CEST schrieb Mauro Carvalho Chehab:
> Em Thu, 02 Jun 2016 21:53:57 +0200
>
> Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> escreveu:
> > Am Donnerstag, 2. Juni 2016, 16:46:18 CEST schrieb Mauro Carvalho Chehab:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I recently ported Kaffeine multimedia player to KF5/Qt5 and I'm trying
> > > address the pending issues. Among them, there's the lack of a
> > > documentation
> > > for it on the recent versions.
> > >
> > > I discovered that, up to versions 0.x, Kaffeine used to have a DocBook
> > >
> > > documentation. It can be seen by opening the old sources, like:
> > > 	http://pkgs.repoforge.org/kaffeine/kaffeine-0.8.7-1.rf.src.rpm
> > >
> > > Ok, it is not a bright documentation:
> > > 	192K	discwindow.png
> > > 	20K	dvbbroadcast.png
> > > 	392K	dvbclient.png
> > > 	40K	dvbconfig.png
> > > 	28K	dvbepg.png
> > > 	76K	dvblive.jpg
> > > 	44K	dvbscan.png
> > > 	36K	dvbtimers.png
> > > 	260K	dvbwin.png
> > > 	44K	gstpart.png
> > > 	28K	index.docbook
> > > 	108K	kaffeinepart.png
> > > 	4,0K	Makefile.am
> > > 	20K	Makefile.in
> > > 	84K	playlistwin.png
> > > 	40K	startwindow.png
> > >
> > > But it seems to be a starting point. Yet, it relies on automake
> > > instead of cmake.
> > >
> > > The question is: how can we put it somewhere with the currently used
> > > tools and start improving it?
> >
> > Please add the documentation to the kaffeine repo in a folder "doc" so we
> > can start together to update is to the kf5 world and improve it.
>
> Just published a blog article about Kaffeine 2.0 at:
> 	https://blogs.s-osg.org/watching-digital-tv-via-kaffeine/?
preview_id=3337&p
> review_nonce=eee042fc33&preview=true

please use https://blogs.s-osg.org/watching-digital-tv-via-kaffeine/ to read,
a preview is not public.

> It may help to update the Kaffeine Handbook documentation.

I'd like to use the content (text + images) in your blog for the docbook as it
covers the special features (TV support) quite nice:

1) How to Install Kaffeine -> skip it because our target audience is joe user
using distro packages

2) Kaffeine Player Basic Functionality - add it to the docbook

3) Worldwide video standards and Linux Kernel support + 4) Digital TV hardware
- interesting read at least for me, but skip it because our target audience is
joe user how should not have to care about these technical details

5) Kaffeine as a Graphical User Interface for Digital TV and
6) Recording Programs in Kaffeine - add it to the docbook

I see just a minor issue with your screenshots, we use the default Breeze
Design for the screenshots for consistency.
So you either retake the screenshots or I take the start screen with Breeze
and use your screenshots and cut off the window decoration - I have no TV
card.

What do you think?

Thanks.

--