Regarding using KDiff3 merging tool

Prashant Pahurkar prashant.pahurkar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:17:32 UTC 2016

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for your reply.

I have few questions/clarification as below:

1.    *Yuri:-* Anyway, KDiff3 (as any other KDE application) can be
controlled with D-Bus. See the instructive article here:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10455
You can easily found merge_choose_a_everywhere in the KDiff3 D-Bus tree
under kdiff3/MainWindow_1/actions and set it.
Options can be passed through additional arguments to the Windows CALL.

Prashant: I have gone through the link you have shared above but I am not
very clear. My questions are :

a.    Do I need to install D-Bus as well in my system to use
choose_a_everywhere option before hand.
b.    Once kdiff3 is launched and when I give 2 input files for merging,
then I can choose a or b everywhere option but question is I need to
understand how do I set such option via the command line. Pls advise.

2.    Yuri: If you need non-interactive tool then why did you choose
Kdiff3? Why not use its backend (diff3 from diffutils), fc from Windows or
WinMerge command line part?

Prashant: I tried using diff3 which got available as part of KDiff3
installation (in the kdiff3\bin folder)

But I was unable to neither run the diff3 application directly nor via the
batch file using Call command by passing file as parameters

For eg:

call "C:\Program Files\kdiff3\bin\diff3.exe" "C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Rnd
Learning\n1.txt" “C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Rnd Learning\n2.txt" -o
"C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Rnd Learning\n3.txt"

Please advise on how do I use and invoke Diff3 which will merge 2 files
(With File A code dominating) and returning the output in 3rd file. All
this to be achieved through command line.

Thanks.

Regards,

Prashant