[kde-doc-english] New online doc generation engine, reprise

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Tue May 12 04:33:03 UTC 2015

написане Tue, 12 May 2015 02:46:42 +0300, Luigi Toscano
<luigi.toscano at tiscali.it>:

> Hi again,
> I spent a bit of time restructuring the code so that the generation is
> not
> executed in the same directory: one directory for the checkout, one
> directory
> for the new website which replaces the current website only if the
> generation
> is successful; up-to-date files are copied from the old site. This
> simplifies
> the checkout process (no need to check for spurious files) and the
> structure
> of the output site (which contains only web-related files).
> Also: documentation which has no English version is ignored; previously
> missing modules are now enabled (Frameworks and extragear-edu); more
> user-friendly search of an application doc given the application name.
>
> For more details about the code changes, please check the history of the
> dev/flexgenerator branch:
>
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=websites%2Fdocs-kde-org.git&a=shortlog&h=f0d55fd52759af323c1fa5a17d05b7b96a540996
>
> I regenerated the site again on the staging server, please check if you
> see
> something strange:
>
> http://docs-staging.kde.org
>
> For the record, the complete regeneration ("cold") took 12.5 hours. The
> update
> today took <~1.5 hour, mostly spent in English documentation which is
> always
> regenerated (as timestamps returned by populate_documentation.sh are
> always
> "fresh").
>
> Known issues:
> - the search part needs some fixes and probably a completely new engine
> - the already mentioned issues with TeXLive 2015 are still there, so
> "es" and
> "fr" have no PDFs at all; some "lt", "ru" and "tr" documents shows the
> issues
> as well. This is unrelated from the code changes.
>
> If no other major issues are popping out, I will merge the branch in
> master
> and start updating the official site.
>
> As already mentioned, volunteers for an overhaul of the site graphics
> are welcome!
>
> Ciao

Hi,

Many thanks for this excellent work.

Can it be pushed into the live site (d.k.o)?

I promise to fix the PDF problems as soon as Mageia 5 will be released so
there will be no problems from the translation side.

Thanks again and best regards,
Yuri