[kde-doc-english] Digikam + Kipi-Plugin Docbooks

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sat Jul 4 12:42:26 UTC 2015

написане Sat, 04 Jul 2015 13:20:34 +0300, Albert Astals Cid
<aacid at kde.org>:

> El Dissabte, 4 de juliol de 2015, a les 11:37:41, Burkhard Lück va
> escriure:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we have a problem with the Digikam + Kipi-Plugin Docbooks in foreseen
>> future
>> more than already now and in the past.
>>
>> From my pov it was a big failure to put the digikam and kiipiplugins
>> docs
>> into their own repos separated from the code where the docbooks silently
>> bitrot.
>>
>> Years ago (around gigikam 3.7?) I started to cleanup + update kipi
>> docbooks,
>> but gave up due to all the problems in nearly all digikam/kipi releases
>> from 3.7 to now (missing en docbooks, missing translated docbooks,
>> missing
>> gui translations...)
>>
>> I see a lot of cleanup (move/rename/delete) in kipi in preparation for
>> kf5
>> now, therefore the corresponding docbooks will be useless in kf5, so we
>> would have to ignore them and should no longer track them for
>> translation
>> in the current status.
>>
>> What about this plan:
>>
>> 1) File a review request for digikam/kipi to move/copy  both doc repos
>> back
>> into the code repos
>> 2) Maybe leave the old doc repos read only in git
>> 3) we strip down the docbooks in the code repos to basic information we
>> are
>> able to keep up to date.
>>
>> Alternativly we should skip digikam + kipi docbooks completely.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> My vote goes for 1.
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert

+1.

It is much easier to create something on the existing basis than to write
the things from scratch.

Moreover, not saying about screenshots, the most of digiKam old docs are
valid even now (and is useful when it explains general facts). KIPI
plugins for social networks importing/exporting do not need thorough
documentation, imho. They can be documented by some kind of stubs (just
follow the instruction and you are done).

Best regards,
Yuri