[kde-doc-english] Konqueror and Netscape plugins

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Thu Aug 20 11:55:21 UTC 2015

On Thursday 20 of August 2015 06:28:55 J. Leslie Turriff wrote:
> Konqueror has provided an interface for Netscape plugins for a long time,
> but Netscape (as such) has also been gone from the web for a long time.

Hi, this is the mailing list for documentation writer and your questions is
more related to the development or to an user support channel (mailing
list/forum), but I will try to answer.

The interface is still in use by the old Flash Plugin (the one used by
Firefox):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI

> The Konqueror handbook implies that what it's referring to is really an API
> standard for browser plugins.
Yes, see above.

> Konqueror looks for these plugins in /opt/netscape, which has not been
> installed on my OpenSuSE Linux for years.
On my system it looks on various directories like $HOME/.mozilla/plugins, etc
(Configure Konqueror -> Web Browsing -> Plugins -> Plugins).

> Can Konqueror interface with the much more popular plugins for the FireFox
> browser?

It should work with any NPAPI plugin, just like Firefox. Chromium (and Chrome)
has another interface, which is (as usual with Chrome-related things) not
stable (Pepper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Native_Client#Pepper ).

Ciao
--
Luigi