[kde-doc-english] Wireless disabled by Network manager and cannot rectify

graham gsheward at xtra.co.nz
Sun Oct 26 21:13:10 UTC 2014

Hi,
Without being negative, I am one of more than 90% of computer users who
do not know the ins and outs of configuring devices, nor how to find the
required information for configurations, nor what packages to load
(which is an Opensuse issue and perhaps you can please pass this onto
them as I cannot get the Bug Reporting thing working).

I have a successful install of OpenSuse 13.2 RC1 on HP PorBook 6540B.
During the install, without enternet cable attached the wireless was
auot configured (which is what I was hoping for). After first boot,
KDE's Network manager has disabled wireless and I cannot get it working.
Here are some issues.

The YAST Network setting dialogue no longer has IFUP, it depend on KDE's
Network manager to auto-configure and switch between cable and wireless
automatically.

The help dialogue on the internet instructs one to use KDE /Main Menu,
System Settings, Network and Connectivity, etc/. Sadly, this item
/Network and Connectivity/ is not available. So I used Configure
Desktop, Network Settings and that doesn't make any sense to a computer
illiterate like me. I opened the KDE help manual, got to KNetAttach,
which also doesnt help as I am unable to get the information required.
Consequently, I am unable to proceed further.

Wireless internet is my only option with this laptop as I do not have a
cable connection at work. Hence, it is why I still have a windows
operating system as it connects wirelessly to the outside world. In my
opinion, there are three major issues why people do not convert to Linux:

1. Audio players that do not automount the cd drive: Amarok never has on
my computers. I have to use K3b to rip the audio to hard drive. Amarok
has resolved the codec issue.
2. There are issue surrounding KDE applications when KDE is a new
version and the current applications aren't available for the new version.
3. The automatic internet connections. Clearly, this is still a problem
as shown above.

It is important to understand that the majority of computer users use
windows precisely because the fundamental applications, office suite,
audio and video players, internet browsers and mail work without the
need to manually configure them. Why KDE and the Linux variants haven't
resolved this issue defies common sense, because if they did, they would
put themselves on the OS market in a huge financial way. For the record,
my main use of Linux is XFig and TexMaker, email and *internet*, Octave,
*music*, videos and photos. From this you can see where the issues lie.
Texstudio, which seems to clone TexMaker is available for windows, but
XFig insn't.

While Netwrok Manager is intended to resolve the issue raised here:
automatic configuration and switching of wireless/cable internet
connection, for some reason it hasn't. All the availalbe help
instructions fail, because we don't know the required information and
the menu times in both KDE and Opensuse's Yast have changed. You cannot
seriously expect 90% of the worlds population to learn how to configure
KDE and Linux OS, although some will.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this and I really hope you address
the issues.
Regards.
Graham