[kde-doc-english] http://www.kubuntu.org/support

Donald Chandonnet smile4yourself at poetryfromheaven.com
Wed Oct 8 22:29:06 UTC 2014

To the Kubuntu Documentation Team:
(not sure that the above email address is correct, but it came from the
Kubuntu documentation)
Oct. 8, 2014

My fellow Kubuntu users.
Greetings from Canada. I am a relatively new user to Kubuntu, and fell in
love with Kubuntu  12.04  it when I retired from my IT job a few years ago.
I decided to no longer use Windows at that time and converted myself to
Kubuntu.

It's been a bumpy road, and I made lots of mistakes, broke various versions
of Kubuntu, reloaded them, upgraded my hardware to a 64-bit cpu and went
through another
bumpy road with various versions of Kubuntu, until now where I find myself:
at version 14.04 --until it breaks. <smile>

Kubuntu is a wonderful computer system, but what lacks is relevant
documentation and help.

What I see as needed to move the Kubuntu System forward is a much better
documentation system --a wiki of sorts like Wikipedia.

A place where anyone can post information under a hierarchy of menu items,
and where experts can simply correct what is posted if it is a bit "off the
mark." People could simply ask a question on a discussion page  (just like
wikipedia) and experts could add the answer to the page in question.

the Kubuntuguide site was a great start
<http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntuguide> to such an idea, but the idea
never took off because it's too slow and cumbersome to make changes. On
Wikipedia, changes are seen as soon as they are made.

   - registered users on Kubuntuguide would offer changes, and they would
   be reviewed by someone, who in turn would edit your work. Changes would
   take a long time to get through, and before one version of Kubuntu docs was
   completed, the developers had abandoned it and gone to a new version.
   - In addition, most Kubuntu users didn't use the site, but rather used
   the Ubuntu resources, and the developers and document writers also where
   not there improving the information.
   - It was located on a university site somewhere in Europe, but did not
   have the support of the core developers. I see that a copy has moved under
   the Ubuntu umbrella, but it has not changed much since I first saw the site
   in Europe.

I'm sure there are lots of people who would like to help, but it needs to
be a system that is easy to use and where one sees the impact of their work
as soon as it is done. That is one of the reasons Wikipedia is such a
success.

I would love to help in the documentation area, but having to learn to
compile documents so that they are included somewhere inside the
installation iso of a new version seems so old fashion and non-effective to
me.

Are you guys/gals working on getting a Wikipedia-like page up to compile
up-to-date Kubuntu documentation?

Donald

smile4yourself at yahoo.ca