[kde-doc-english] Audio and Video Settings

Hugh McKeith hdmrn at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 8 19:15:51 UTC 2014

Hello;
I really do appreciate the 'help' information that is provided.  However I find
it very vague and over simplified and really does not provide any examples to
try, or suggestions for troubleshooting.

I am fairly new to Linux and have already figured out all that you have
provided in the 'help' for sound and video.  The problem that I have had since
the first day that I tried Linux, almost twenty years ago, is that for some
very strange and seemingly unanswerable reason, only ONE channel of sound is
output.

I looked on line at all the many sites that offer assistance with this issue,
and in most responses it is never explained why this is a problem, or how to
fix it.  I did come across several articles that advised that the sound was
muted during the writing of the software, and one needed to 'FIND' where that
was in system files and then turn sound on. This is more or less like someone
giving you a brand new Ferrari and then telling you that you need to now
search anywhere and every where to 'find' the keys before you are able to drive
it.

I am a university graduate and am used to doing research in many different
areas.  However in this instance there is not enough information given to the
basic general user of LINUX software, to even think of starting research on
the subject without first learning how to program using linux code.  I do not
have time or energy to learn a new 'language' just so that I can go to my
computer, turn it on and get my email, or listen to music.

Lets be a little more realistic with release of software so that it actually
will detect and be plug and play ready, as all new releases of Linux suggest.

Thanks,

Hugh