[kde-doc-english] DocBookXML 4.5, the plan

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Feb 23 15:12:58 UTC 2014

El Dissabte, 22 de febrer de 2014, a les 16:52:38, Luigi Toscano va escriure:
> Hi all,
> these are the steps of plan for bumping the default DocBook XML version to
> 4.5 while keeping the compatibility on the old 4.2-based when kde4support
> is used:
>
> 1) commit rename/changes of FindDocBookXML (RR 115876 and 115879);
>
> 2) kde4support: copy files FindDocBookXML, catalog.xml, kdex.dtd to
> kde4support (with history, help or script from Alex Merry needed :) from
> kdoctools, remove the old compatibility variables, do not install kdex.dtd
> and catalog.xml for now, rename catalog.xml as catalog4.xml and remove the
> old content (leave only the definition of 4.2-based DTD).
>
> 3a) kdoctools: change the default DTD by renaming kdex.dtd and bumping
> DocBookXML version number to 4.5;
> 3b) kde4support: install catalog4.xml and kdex.dtd from kde4support
> 3c) other modules: fix the documentation of all ported modules to use the
> new DTD (4.5-based) (temporary breakages in Jenkins are possible).
>
> My question is: given the strict time before alpha2, do I need to sent out a
> RR for every step above (especially 3c), or can I just go and do the
> changes if you think the plan is fine?

I'm not a huge part of the frameworks team, so feel free to ignore me, but
sometimes i feel we're overdoing the review thing, i've seen changes that seem
trivial to me and that seem to originate from the person that knows most of
the code posted to reviewboard. And that's fine if there's people reivewing it
in a timely manner but for some not so well known/reviewed places it can stall
the flow a bit so personally I wouldn't mind if some things just are commited
directly.

But as said, that's just my kind of outside opinion :)

Cheers,
  Albert