[kde-doc-english] Kleopatra - Invalid Passphrase to Decrypt

Parker JR, John R (John) john.r.parker.jr at verizon.com
Wed Feb 12 07:57:29 UTC 2014

To Whom It May Concern,

I created an "OpenPGP key pair" following the instructions below and emailed the file to the party that made copies for me.  The party copied the files to an external hard drive and mailed the drive to me.  Now I'm trying to decrypt the hard drive, however my passphrase originally created is not recognized.

I followed the instructions below exactly as they are and have a "Kleopatra Key.gpg" on my desktop.  I'm guessing that's the backup I made because the file size is 2 KB versus the file I emailed to the party that made the copies for me, which is 5 KB although named the same "Kleopatra Key.gpg".  At this point, I'm guessing my only alternative is to use the backup file but not sure how.  Will you please send me instructions?  Thanks in advance!

In the first window select:
                >> "FILE"
                  >>"New Certificate"

In the next window select:
                >> "Create a personal OpenPGP key pair"

Enter your personal information (name and email) then select:
                >> "NEXT"
                  >> "CREATE KEY"

In the pop-up window, enter a passphrase of your choice. It should meet the minimum requirements of containing at least 8 characters and 1 number.
                You need to enter your passphrase twice
                ** after second entry of the passphrase, selecting "OK" will generate key pair**

Upon successful completion, the window will display the following confirmation:
                "Key Pair Successfully Created"

Next, select:
                >> "Make backup of your key pair"
                  >>Select a destination location
                    >>Name file
Select "OK" then "FINISH"

These are the steps I'm using in trying to DECRYPT the files:

Run Kleopatra
                **You should see the certificate you created displayed in the "My Certificates" section**

>From the "FILE" menu select "DECRYPT/VERIFY FILES"

Locate and Select the Verizon LED.zip.gpg file
                >>Click "Open"

Next window: CHOOSE OPERATIONS TO BE PERFORMED

                **Ignore input options at the top**

At the bottom of the "Decrypt/Verify Files" window,
                >>Make sure "Create all output files in a single folder" is checked

To change the OUTPUT folder field
                >>Select icon to far right of Output folder field

                >>Select desired folder/location
                     **You can select the "New Folder" button to create an output folder in whatever desired location you choose**

                >>Select "DECRYPT/VERIFY" button
                      (I suspect this process could take a bit of time to process due to the volume of data)

The "RESULTS" window will display the progress and provide a status of the encryption.
                **ideally, this should be "successful"

Once the decryption is complete, you should be able to open the output file and view all your data.

Sincerely,

John R. Parker

Consultant - Network Engineering & Technology
Tel: (813) 978-2295
Cell: (813) 394-6512
Verizon Global Network Service Delivery & Assurance<http://sda.verizon.com/>
www.verizon.com<http://www.verizon.com/>