[kde-doc-english] Updating docs.kde.org to Applications/14.12 + Plasma/5.1?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sun Dec 21 19:41:46 UTC 2014

написане Sun, 21 Dec 2014 21:32:54 +0200, Albert Astals Cid
<aacid at kde.org>:

> El Diumenge, 21 de desembre de 2014, a les 21:15:02, Yuri Chornoivan va
> escriure:
>> написане Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:51:38 +0200, Albert Astals Cid
>>
>> <aacid at kde.org>:
>> > El Diumenge, 21 de desembre de 2014, a les 19:10:44, Yuri Chornoivan
>> va
>> >
>> > escriure:

>> Chornoivan

>> so

>> https://projects.kde.org/projects/websites/docs-kde-org/repository/revisi

>> generated?

>> > That is a "KDE app"?
>> >
>> > What is a "KF5 version"?

>> > What is installing KF5? The libraries? Or you mean Plasma 5 the
>> desktop?

>> > They are version numbers.
>> >
>> > KF5 is the version of the libraries.
>> > KDE 4.14 is some old thing we don't ship nor support anymore (except
>> for
>> > LTS
>> > kdelibs and kdepim*)
>> > There's no KDE 14.12, there's KDE Applications 14.12, that is the set
>> of
>> > Applications we just released, some of those have dependencies in KF5,
>> > some of
>> > those have dependencies on kdelibs4, but you should not care the less.
>>
>> As a member of one distribution team (Mageia) I'd rather disagree. You
>> cannot install both versions at the same time.
>
> Both versions of what?

Plasma 5 and KDE 4 Workspaces (do not know the exact marketing names).

>> For sure, there is a little difference now. But soon... At least some
>> apps
>> (e.g. Kalzium) will loose some of there features (e.g. molecule viewer)
>> because of porting and we should remove doc parts.

>> guess

>> d.k.o.

>> > That is how it should be, i advocated the simplicty of this more than
>> > year
>> > ago, people said i was crazy and i gave in, we're now reaping the
>> > consquences
>> > of having 4 branches instead of 2 as i wanted.
>>
>> It would be hard to decide now what branch to choose. It needs some
>> parsing of 4 subversion branches instead 2 branches that we have for
>> now.
>>
>> The other problem that we need two versions of kdoctools (4.5-based for
>> KF5-based apps and 4.2-based for kdelibs4-based apps). That has been
>> already pointed by Luigi.

>> rewrite
>> and

>> right
>> nobody

>> > I think the thing is that you're looking at this wrong, there's no
>> KDE4
>> > apps
>> > nor KF5 apps, there's just apps, and those apps have documentation.
>>
>> Ok. I just look at this my way. ;)
>>
>> To be honest, I do not mind if any possible way to handle the current
>> situation would be implemented. For now, waiting for more apps to be
>> ported on KF5 is a reasonable solution for me.
>
> We may as well shut down the page if it's going to show old information
> for no
> reason.

Why? The information is up-to-date now. Most distribution are not switched
to Plasma 5. I said "for now" which means "for _now_". When Plasma 5 will
be the main downstream proposal (since the spring of 2015) it would be
_highly_reasonable to switch to its docs (and even then what to do with
KDE 4 docs with non-Breeze window style for screenshots?). But _now_ it's
just fooling around ourselves and users...

Best regards,
Yuri