[kde-doc-english] Updating docs.kde.org to Applications/14.12 + Plasma/5.1?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Dec 21 18:51:38 UTC 2014

El Diumenge, 21 de desembre de 2014, a les 19:10:44, Yuri Chornoivan va
escriure:
> написане Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:41:18 +0200, Albert Astals Cid
>
> <aacid at kde.org>:
> > El Dissabte, 20 de desembre de 2014, a les 18:47:37, Yuri Chornoivan va
> >
> > escriure:
> >> написане Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:33:10 +0200, Albert Astals Cid

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This can be done via index.php and generator in docs-kde-org git repo.
> >> But... there is no "14.12" in http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/ so we
> >> will lost all translations.
> >
> > Errr what? Why would be lose translations because of that?
>
> Oops... Dead code in the generator script:
>
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/websites/docs-kde-org/repository/revisions
> /master/entry/generator#L91
> > You'll never find 14.12 there, you can find it at
> > http://websvn.kde.org/branches/Applications/
> >
> >> There was also some sort of agreement that we do not generate docs for
> >> 5.x
> >> (too many branches, chaos, uncertainty where is what...).
> >
> > Too many branches? chaos? Where has that "agreement" been generated?
> >
> > I've never seen anyone complaining about chaos.
>
> Me first, yeah! ;)
>
> Some words about "chaos". ~20% of KDE apps have KF5 versions.

That is a "KDE app"?

What is a "KF5 version"?

> Some of them
> have kf5-stable versions. If I for some reasons install KF5 what docs
> should I choose?

What is installing KF5? The libraries? Or you mean Plasma 5 the desktop?

> KF5 (5.x?), KDE 4.14, KDE 14.12? What all those numbers
> about?

They are version numbers.

KF5 is the version of the libraries.
KDE 4.14 is some old thing we don't ship nor support anymore (except for LTS
kdelibs and kdepim*)
There's no KDE 14.12, there's KDE Applications 14.12, that is the set of
Applications we just released, some of those have dependencies in KF5, some of
those have dependencies on kdelibs4, but you should not care the less.

> This has two solutions:
>
> 1. Just keep two branches, stable and unstable. This way we should guess
>  from SVN translation branches what version to choose to show on d.k.o.
> This is hardly reachable automatically.

That is how it should be, i advocated the simplicty of this more than year
ago, people said i was crazy and i gave in, we're now reaping the consquences
of having 4 branches instead of 2 as i wanted.

> 2. Keep all possible branches. It takes some time and efforts to rewrite
> scripts for two (three, more?) new branches (kf5-stable, kf5-master) and
>  from kdelibs to kdoctools framework (not saying that there might be some
> problems with different versions of kdoctools).
>
> As it will be hard for average user and search robot to find the right
> docs from 4 (or more) cases and KF5 is still not widely adopted, nobody
> complained so far that there are no docs for KF5 applications.
>
> Moreover, we should redo almost all screenshots with the new default style
> (Breeze?) and have not enough KF5 users to do this.
>
> So this is not an urgent task so far, imho. Sorry for the pessimistic
> point of view.

I think the thing is that you're looking at this wrong, there's no KDE4 apps
nor KF5 apps, there's just apps, and those apps have documentation.