[kde-doc-english] About OpenSUSE KDE Plasma Help

john s wolter johnswolter at wolterworks.com
Thu Apr 10 00:35:35 UTC 2014

Today I'm writing to request what is missing in the configuration help
screens for the keyboard.  I see writing that starts with a contents page
listing hardware, layouts, and advanced tabs links.  When viewing advanced,
my current focus, I see a single paragraph that's not helpful.

It states the "Configure keyboard options" will let you "set a few options
regarding some keys settings". That is not enough.  Tell the authors, "Sir,
I want more please" (Oliver Twist).

I was looking to understand the 3nd & 4th level key jargon.  I'm sure the
entire world wants to understand all the jargon for all the help screens.
 The jargon should either be explained or the Help screens should be
rewritten in English [& translated] for the unaccustomed user.

I'm a self-taught LINUX user.  I started with SUSE LINUX Professional 7
over 12 years ago and progressed to OpenSUSE, and continue today.  I've
used KDE through most of that time, experimenting with Gnome now and again.

I have at least a user's view, but also performed all administrative work
over that time.  I typically have used Yast for administration.  I also
have manually edited configurations for many of the significant packages.

LINUX desktops, simply put, are not production quality.  The LINUX desktops
such as KDE and Gnome have not made enough strides to catch Apple's Finder
or even Microsoft's Windows shifting desktop GUIs.  The LINUX desktop
communities need to surrender some measure of autonomy or LINUX will always
will have gone as far as an open source package can go.

These communities need to work together and set the goal to create a user
friendly GUI.  The result needs to compete with Apple's finder and
Windows'.  It to start with a similar feel to those.

Underneath it can be completely different.  Its new ideas can surface
enticing more exploration.  Later the community can evolve towards new
ideas like those for tablets and smartphones.

Good luck getting Geeks to write.  Given a LINUX desktop that is quickly
understood, former Apple and Microsoft users will barely skip a beat as
they switch.

Cheers,
John S. Wolter
Wolter Works