[kde-doc-english] Kate Python Plugin Documentation

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed May 29 09:17:48 UTC 2013

Along with the new development chapter, we're working on improving the
documentation for the new Python plugin support in Kate.  We'd like to
use Sphinx [1], since that contains excellent support for
automatically generating documentation based on Python docstrings and
method signatures, much like Doxygen does so well for C++.  We don't
currently translate the C++ API documentation on api.kde.org, and
really you need a decent handle on English to program with any API, so
we're not concerned with making it translatable or anything.

But, it still would be nice for the documentation to live in kate.git
somewhere, since Kate's developers are usually very good about keeping
this type of documentation up to date when they change something that
affects it.  Would using a subdirectory of doc in kate.git be fine for
this purpose?  This directory would not be included in CMakeLists.txt,
nor would it contain any .docbook files.  I wouldn't think scripty
would be bothered by this, but I can't be entirely sure.  If scripty
does treat this subdirectory specially and this would cause issues for
it, we certainly could put it in a different location.

Thanks for any advice!
-T.C.

[1] http://sphinx-doc.org/