[kde-doc-english] Using superscript in <gui...> markup

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Tue May 28 21:06:50 UTC 2013

Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Diumenge, 26 de maig de 2013, a les 22:24:27, Albert Astals Cid va
> escriure:
>> El Dissabte, 25 de maig de 2013, a les 23:53:42, Burkhard Lück va escriure:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> updating kcalc docs I tried to use superscript in <guibutton> markup, but
>>> failed because checkXML reported an error like:
>>>
>>> index.docbook:208: element guibutton: validity error : Element superscript
>>> is not declared in guibutton list of possible children
>>>
>>> According to http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/guibutton.html (link
>>> provided by Yuri, thanks) superscript|subscript should be allowed inside
>>> <guibutton> markup.
>>>
>>> Any idea why checkXML/meinproc4 does not allow superscript|subscript
>>> inside
>>> <guibutton> markup?
>>
>> [...]
>> So to my understanding possible children of guibutton are replaceeable,
>> inlinegraphic, inlinemediaobject, indexterm, beginpage
>
> Ah, just saw that the superscript and subscript where added in 4.4
>
> Not sure what means changing to 4.4 though.
>
> Luigi?

I remember I considered moving to 4.5, or at least supporting it, when I
stripped out the embedded docbook XML/XSLT from kdelibs. If you check
FindDocbookXML.cmake, there is a commented section with a couple of (not used)
variables DOCBOOKXML_OLDDTD_{VERSION|DIR} in addition to the used
DOCBOOKXML_CURRENTDTD_{VERSION|DIR}, but in the end I decided it was easier to
support only one version, and we had already found few problems moving all to
4.2 (even if 4.5 should be backward compatible).

I would say that we should move to 4.5 for Frameworks, not sure it's worth to
do it for 4.x.

Ciao
--
Luigi