[kde-doc-english] Rewrite of Documentation Primer Q2

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 00:09:23 UTC 2013

On 3/4/13, Randall Wood <randall at woodbriceno.net> wrote:
> The Primer mentions Application Handbooks and User Guides.  I'm sure I'm
> familiar with the Application Handbooks, which I think are the docs that
> appear in the KDE Helpcenter.  But I don't know what the User Guides
> are.  Do they still exist?   The primer is impressing upon the author
> the need to differentiate between diverse "packages" of information.  I
> think we should be rather differentiating between man pages, Application
> Guides (F1), and text for the User Base.
>
> Am I right? Are there other sources of info out there we should be
> mentioning?

In the past there was a "KDE Users Guide" that served as introductory
documentation.  Nowadays, we have the KDE Fundamentals [1]
documentation that serves a similar purpose.  It's still docbook
documentation that displays in the help center, but it's not an
"application handbook" per se. I believe this was the distinction it
was trying to make.

"sers guide" really isn't an appropriate term anymore.  Perhaps it
could be changed to something like "application handbooks and other
more general DocBook documentation such as KDE Fundamentals".

-T.C.

[1] http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kde-runtime/fundamentals/index.html