[kde-doc-english] genshortcutents

David Faure faure+bluesystems at kde.org
Thu Jun 13 16:16:58 UTC 2013

Dear documentation writers,

As part of the KDE Frameworks 5 effort (restructuring kdelibs), I stumbled
upon the tool called "genshortcutents", which sits next to meinproc in
kdelibs/kdoctools, and is documented as:
"Generates DocBook entities for key shortcuts of standard actions".

It seems that the idea (when Frerich committed it, in KDE3 times) was to
generate a kde-standards-accels.entities file, and install it as part of
kdelibs.
However this broke with KDE 4.0 (when switching from unsermake to cmake), and
the fact that nobody fixed it since then, would seem to indicate that nobody
is actually using these entities.

The reason this is showing up now is that we're looking at replacing (long
term) KStandardShortcut with the Qt QKeySequence standard accel, so we're
wondering about the impact on that code.

But if it's unused.... can we get rid of it, rather than have to worry about
porting it ?