[kde-doc-english] Info files are in info format

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 22:23:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Křištof Želechovski
<giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:
> #. Tag: para
>
> #: index.docbook:22
> #, fuzzy, no-c-format
> msgid ""
> "Info is a type of documentation. The documents are in a file format called
> "
> "texinfo, and can be read on the command line with the <ulink
> url=\"info:/info"

What docbook is this in?

> No they are not, texinfo is a different format.

Yeah, texinfo is the source format, isn't it?  Looks like this
(wherever it is ;-) isn't the only place we confuse this,
khelpcenter's docbook uses this term too.

> Info documents are text files logically divided into pages with a
> hierarchical structure and cross-references. They are typically produced by
> a processor named makeinfo. They can be viewed in the teletype <ulink
> url=\"info:/info"

Depending on where this is this might be a bit too technical.  Users
just want to RTFM, not learn the various intricacies of the nine
million different documentation formats used on UNIX-like systems.
;-)

More useful information would be what *sort* of information lives in
info documentation.  The answer is pretty much anything made by GNU,
right?  Anything else?

-T.C.