[kde-doc-english] A few basics for new documentation

Randall Wood randall at woodbriceno.net
Thu Feb 28 21:54:01 UTC 2013

On Monday, February 04, 2013 08:34:14 PM Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Montag, 4. Februar 2013, 16:05:05 schrieb Randall Wood:
> > Greetings - Thanks Yuri and Bernard for the pointers.  I completed the
> > project I was working on - a 1st draft for Trojita - and while I'm waiting
> > for revisions etc, I'd like to stay involved with the documentation
> > project. Ideally, I'd like to make some fixes to the "Documentation
> > Primer"
> > to get other newbies pointed in the right direction (adding the link Yuri
> > provided to a recent template, for example).
>
> Great
>
> > Can I just jump in, or should I work through someone else?  What is the
> > team's preference?  Seems like you guys are over-worked and could use some
> > help; I'm happy to lend a hand.
>
> Source of the  "Documentation Primer"
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/www/areas/l10n/docs/
> doc-primer/ (Documentation Primer)
> markup/ (DocBook Authors guide)
> styleguide/ (Style Guide)
>
> Probably you have no write access to these sources in the kde repo.
>
> I'd like to get all this merged into one "Documentation whatever???"
>
> Some pointers:
>
> quality.kde.org is gone
> userguide is gone, partly replaced by fundamentals docs in kde-runtime
> don't link to stuff on i18n.kde.org, that is outdated/wrong and the content
> there should be removed
> home for "Documentation Primer" should be docs.kde.org, not l10n.kde.org
> I'd like to discuss style rules from http://l10n.kde.org/docs/doc-
> primer/gui.html like:
> "Take care that the text exactly matches the label on screen. If it has a :
> on the dialog box, put the : into your documentation."
>
> ":" does disturb the reading fluency
> "..." is useless in docs, has only a meaning in the gui (open a new
> window/dialog)
>
> Thanks a lot for stepping in.
>
> And don't hesitate to ask any question, no matter how "stupid" they might
> be...

I'm just writing to let everyone know I've begun work on this.  I'll be
merging those three docs into one, updating a bit, removing outdated
references, and filling out the bits that weren't clear to me until I learned
them elsewhere - especially now that we're mostly off SVN and mostly on GIT.
I'll have a draft for everyone to review later in March.