[kde-doc-english] A few basics for new documentation

Burkhard Lück info at hube-lueck.de
Mon Feb 4 19:34:14 UTC 2013

Am Montag, 4. Februar 2013, 16:05:05 schrieb Randall Wood:

> Greetings - Thanks Yuri and Bernard for the pointers.  I completed the
> project I was working on - a 1st draft for Trojita - and while I'm waiting
> for revisions etc, I'd like to stay involved with the documentation
> project. Ideally, I'd like to make some fixes to the "Documentation Primer"
> to get other newbies pointed in the right direction (adding the link Yuri
> provided to a recent template, for example).

Great

> Can I just jump in, or should I work through someone else?  What is the
> team's preference?  Seems like you guys are over-worked and could use some
> help; I'm happy to lend a hand.

Source of the  "Documentation Primer"
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/www/areas/l10n/docs/
doc-primer/ (Documentation Primer)
markup/ (DocBook Authors guide)
styleguide/ (Style Guide)

Probably you have no write access to these sources in the kde repo.

I'd like to get all this merged into one "Documentation whatever???"

Some pointers:

quality.kde.org is gone
userguide is gone, partly replaced by fundamentals docs in kde-runtime
don't link to stuff on i18n.kde.org, that is outdated/wrong and the content
there should be removed
home for "Documentation Primer" should be docs.kde.org, not l10n.kde.org
I'd like to discuss style rules from http://l10n.kde.org/docs/doc-
primer/gui.html like:
"Take care that the text exactly matches the label on screen. If it has a : on
the dialog box, put the : into your documentation."

":" does disturb the reading fluency
"..." is useless in docs, has only a meaning in the gui (open a new
window/dialog)

Thanks a lot for stepping in.

And don't hesitate to ask any question, no matter how "stupid" they might
be...

--
Burkhard Lück