[kde-doc-english] Kubuntu documentation

Scarlett Clark scarlett at scarlettgatelyclark.com
Thu Dec 12 18:07:45 UTC 2013

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 03:55:36 PM Niklas Laxström wrote:
> Hi! I'm Niklas, developer of the Translate extension that UserBase uses.
>
> 2013/12/12 Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com>:
> > Kubuntu users ARE KDE users, and most of our Kubuntu people are
active
> > directly in KDE too. One of my ulterior goals for using KDE infra for
> > part of our work process is to get those who aren't working directly
> > for KDE used to doing so.
> >
> > Well-translated docs helps us all.
>
> Definitely agree.
>
> > It is possibly true that we could install mediawiki on our Kubuntu.org
> > server, and some of the guys want to do that. I think that without the
> > excellent support of both the web-team AND the underlying sysadmin
> > support, that wiki would slowly become a cesspit of spam.
> >
> > The Canonical sysadmins are rather remote and unresponsive. I doubt
we
> > could get them to do such a major install in less than months, if not
> > years. Probably if we can't get KDE community buy-in, then we'll
> > continue to limp along on moinmoin, and lack much translation.
>
> To me it would seem waste of resources not to join with the UserBase,
> which already has everything set up, can handle the spam and most
> importantly: it has translators to help you and it needs more
> translators which could come via your way.

In my humble opinion... I think Kubuntu should move to the KDE
infrastructure. It would certainly make things easier from a contributor
standpoint. I am already well versed in the KDE environment and could
easily continue my KDE efforts in addition to helping out Kubuntu. The
other option of moving stuff back and forth sounds like an upkeep
nightmare...

Scarlett