[kde-doc-english] Keyboard Shortcuts

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 15:32:11 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it feasible at all. I mean, if we define the global shortcuts as
> something that is reachable regardless to the window which is in focus, is
> it possible to list all of them?
>
> Or do you mean some trivial set like Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V?

No, I don't think we really want *all* the shortcuts listed in Global
Shortcuts.  Any KDE app can scrawl in there and really most users
don't care about most of them.  For instance, the KWin shortcuts are
definitely useful here, the KTorrent ones, not so much.  The trivial
in-app shortcuts like CTRL+C would be nice to have too.

Also, global shortcuts is organized by the app that owns them, making
it a poor reference for the average user, who doesn't want or need to
know what "KWin" is or what sets it apart from the "Plasma Desktop
Shell".

So, with that being said, here's what I think I'd want this section (a
<sect1> in Finding Your Way Around, I guess) to look like:

###########################
#COMMON KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS#
###########################

The &i18n-plasma-workspaces; provide keyboard shortcuts that allow you
to perform many tasks without touching your mouse.  If you use your
keyboard frequently, using these can save you lots of time.

This list contains the most common shortcuts supported by the the
workspace itself and many applications available within.  Every
application also provides its own shortcuts, so be sure to check their
manuals for a comprehensive listing.

<note>
The <keysym>Meta</keysym> key described below is a generic name for
the custom key found on many different keyboards. On keyboards
designed for &Microsoft; &Windows;, this key is usually called the
<keysym>Windows</keysym> key, and will have a picture of the &Windows;
logo.  On keyboards designed for &Mac; computers, this key is known as
the <keysym>Command</keysym> key and will have a picture of the
&Apple; logo and/or the <keycap>⌘</keycap> symbol.  On keyboards
designed for &UNIX; systems, this key is really known as the
<keysym>Meta</keysym> key and is typically labeled with a diamond:
<keycap>◆</keycap>.
</note>

WORKING WITH WINDOWS
====================

These keys work anywhere as long as you are using the &i18n-plasma-workspaces;.

Opening and Closing
--------------------

These shortcuts make it easy to start and stop programs.

CTRL+
Q -> Quit
ESC -> System Activity
ALT+ESC -> Kill Window

ALT+
F2 -> Run Command Interface
F3 -> Window Operations Menu
F4 -> Close

Moving Around
--------------

These shortcuts allow you to navigate between windows, activities, and
desktops efficiently.

ALT+
TAB -> Walk Through Windows
` -> Walk Through Windows of Current App

CTRL+
F1-4 -> Switch to Desktop N
F10 -> Present Windows
F9 -> Present Windows on current desktop
F7 -> Present Windows of current app
F11 -> Desktop Cube
F12 -> Show Dashboard
ALT+A -> Activate Window Demanding Attention

META+
Q -> Activities
Tab -> Next Activity
ALT+Up -> Switch to Window Above
ALT+Down -> Switch to Window Below
ALT+Left -> Switch to Window to the Left
ALT+Right -> Switch to Window to the Right

Zooming & Panning
------------------

Need to get a closer look?  The &i18n-plasma-workspaces; allow you to
zoom in and out and move your entire desktop around, so you can zoom
in even when the application you are using doesn't support it.

META+
= -> Zoom In
- -> Zoom Out
0 -> Zoom Normal
Up -> Pan Up
Down -> Pan Down
Left -> Pan Left
Right -> Pan Right

GETTING HELP
============

Need some help?  The manual for the current application is only a
keypress away, and some programs even have additional help that
explains the element in focus.

F1 -> Open Manual
SHIFT+F1 -> What's This?

WORKING WITH DOCUMENTS
======================

Whether it's a text document, spreadsheet, or web site, these
shortcuts make performing many kinds of tasks with them easy.

F5 -> Reload

CTRL+
A -> Select All
Z -> Undo
X -> Cut
C -> Copy
V -> Paste
N -> New
P -> Print
S -> Save
F -> Find
W -> Close Document/Tab

SHIFT+Z -> Redo

WORKING WITH FILES
==================

Whether your in an Open/Save dialog or the &dolphin; file manager,
these shortcuts save you time when performing operations on files.
Note that some of the concepts used with files are the same as with
documents, so several of the shortcuts are identical to their
counterparts listed above.

CTRL+
Z -> Undo
X -> Cut
C -> Copy
V -> Paste
A -> Select All
SHIFT+A -> Invert Selection
L -> Replace Location

ALT+
Left -> Back
Right -> Forward
Up -> Up (to folder that contains this one)
Home -> Home Folder

DEL -> Move to Trash
SHIFT+DEL -> Delete Permanently

CHANGING VOLUME AND BRIGHTNESS
==============================

In addition to the standard keys, many computer keyboards and laptops
nowadays have special keys or buttons to change the speaker volume, as
well as the brightness of your monitor if applicable.  If present, you
can use these keys in the &i18n-plasma-workspaces; to perform those
tasks.

If you do not have such keys, see <xref> for information on how to
assign keys for these tasks.

LEAVING YOUR COMPUTER
=====================

All done?  Use these shortcuts and put your computer away!

CTRL+ALT+
INS -> Switch User
L -> Lock Session
DEL -> Logout

CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+
DEL -> Logout without confirmation
PgDown -> Shut Down without confirmation
PgUp -> Reboot without confirmation

MODIFYING KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
============================

The shortcuts described in <link>Working With Windows</link>,
Brightness</link> are called global shortcuts, since they work
regardless of which window you have open on your screen.  These can be
modified in the <link>Global Shortcuts panel of
&systemsettings;</link>, where they are separated by &kde; component.

The shortcuts described in <link>Working with Documents</link> and
<link>Getting Help</link> are set by individual programs.  Most &kde;
programs allow you to use the <link>common shortcut editing
dialog</link> to modify these.  The shortcuts described in
<link>Working With Files</link> can be edited in the same manner when
used inside a file manager like &dolphin; or &konqueror;, but cannot
be modified in the case of Open/Save dialogs, &etc;

Something like that.

Suggestions for keys I missed/confusing keys that shouldn't be
mentioned/tips to better organize this are very welcome.

-T.C.