[kde-doc-english] Summer Time Adjustments To Clock

rwb mr.rwb at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 22 17:22:11 UTC 2013

Thanks. I'll try that. If it doesn't work, we'll be back on UTC in October. Shall let you know if the workaround is effective.

Apologies for the language mistake. I speak a bit of Russian, and saw your name, plus the 'написане' at the start of the message, and drew the wrong conclusion.

Richard.

On 22 Aug 2013, at 17:59, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:

написане Thu, 22 Aug 2013 19:24:10 +0300, rwb <mr.rwb at ntlworld.com>:

> Hello, Yuri, and thank-you for the prompt reply.
>
> The shortcut is useful. I have not used KDE for a while, because I had been using a really old computer, with Xfce, and it's moved on appreciably over the past few years. I had already gone to the 'Date and Time' window by the 'old' method of right-clicking on the clock and choosing 'Adjust Date and Time...', to setup the clock via europe.pool.ntp.org [after trying pool.ntp.org], and choosing my Time Zone as 'London'. Then I opted to 'Set date and time automatically:'. When clicking 'Apply', the clock changes to UTC, instead of BST.
>
> The next thing I tried was right-clicking on the clock, choosing 'Digital Clock Settings'. Then I selected 'Time Zones' and noticed that 'London' and 'UTC' were both selected. I unchecked 'UTC'. Then I clicked 'Apply'.
>
> The clock didn't change from UTC, so I repeated the process for setting time automatically, via the 'Date and Time' window.
>
> This also had no effect; my clock still shows the UTC time, instead of BST.
>
> So, I am now at a loss about what to do.

Regretfully, this problem has nothing to do with KDE itself. The time zones data are taken from timezones db archive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tz_database

The actual data from IANA:

http://www.iana.org/time-zones/repository/releases/tzdata2013d.tar.gz

I'm not an expert but you can try to do as follows

1. unpack the archive
2. edit the data for London (in europe file)
3. recompile it with "sudo /usr/sbin/zic -d . europe"
4. put London file into /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe

> Еще раз, спасибо за вашу помощь.
>
> Ричард.

I'm not a Russian btw. ;) But thanks anyway.

Best regards,
Yuri