[kde-doc-english] KDiff3 - help with pasting three files into the GUI

Neil Thomas dc_fm at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 18 14:52:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've just have KDiff3 recommended to me, using 0.9.92 under Win XP. Loving it. However there is one feature I tried to use, expecting it to be there, but could not find out how.

I wanted to compare three text files in very different and deep locations, which I already had visible in various explorer windows. Rather than navigate to each one (again, sigh!) with the default file dialog that is visible when the program starts, I wanted to CTRL-drag the files into each of three compare columns. However, KDiff3 starts up with only two columns visible.

Under the window menu, there is a 'show window C' item, but it is greyed out. I was not able to find anything under settings or configuration like 'start with 3 columns', or 'show 3 columns'. There doesn't appear to be any button on the initial file find dialog that allows the C window to open without a file being selected, or any way to spoof the dialog to get this to happen. I can't find anything in the documentation that helps with this, or anything through Google.

Is it possible to start up with 3 blank windows?
Is it possible to open an empty C window?
Is it possible to use command line options to start up like this?

Regards
Neil Thomas