[kde-doc-english] Proposal: add missing IDs to top-level tags of manuals

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Tue Oct 9 21:46:14 UTC 2012

T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
>> What happened here is that, if the "id" attribute for some tag (<article> for
>> sonnet, or in some cases <book>) is not specified, a random one is generated,
>> which is not guaranteed to be the same for different runs of the generation
>> program.
>
> Is this only a problem for the toplevel DocBook tags (<article> and
> <book>)?  If meinproc4 generates random ids for tags like <sect1> and
> <chapter> too, yum will still be unhappy.  (Of course, we might be so
> awesome as to not be missing any ids for such tags.  ;-)
I haven't checked all the documents, but I've seen few <sect1> and <chapter>
without the tag. So we should check them as well.

>> It seems that there are _not_ easy ways to not generate those anchors, and by
>> "easy" I mean by setting a parameter. I only found a parameter
>> (generate.id.attributes) which writes the id into an id attribute for the
>> associated tag instead of new anchor tag.
>
> Yeah, that doesn't help at all.  (I'd very much like to turn it on in
> the future, as it allows us to do cool stuff like highlight the
> destination section when someone clicks a link in the TOC, but that
> can wait until I offer up patches that make use of it.  ;-)
That's one line, so it's up to you :)

>> The highest priority would be for files which are part of co-installable
>> multiarch packages (usually libraries, like kdelibs, kdepimlibs, etc)..
>> I forgot to mention that I volunteer for this (for 4.9 - at least for the most
>> important ones - and master).
>
> I can quickly script a fix for this for all docs in the project to
> save you a lot of manual labor, if you'd like.  :-)
If you have the complete checkout of all doc repository (which I don't have at
the time, I miss few of them), it will be really appreciated, thank you!
(plus checking sect1 and chapter).

(see also the other email).

Ciao
--